Did you know that in Australia 1 in 3 people will need blood, but only 1 in 30 donate? And that 31,000 donations are needed weekly to help people young and old across the country?
In February, Lifeblood Legend David Williams made his 50th blood donation. To support his amazing efforts, members of the Biscit team decided to join Lifeblood Teams – a social responsibility program from Australian Red Cross Lifeblood for workmates, friends, team-mates and communities who want to make a difference.
In addition to gaining a better understanding of the blood donation process, the Biscit team were interested to learn that:
- Donated blood can be made into 22 medical treatments
- About a third of all donations help people with cancer
- 18% helps surgical patients including open heart surgery and burn-related surgery
- 4% supports obstetrics patients including pregnant women, new mothers and young children
- Red cells can be stored for 42 days.
The team is proud to have played a small part in supporting the efforts of the Australian Red Cross Lifeblood program.
The Biscit Lifeblood Team at the Australian Red Cross Lifeblood’s Broadmeadow location donating blood and plasma on February 20th 2021.